Festival Hujan 2011 (Rain Festival) in Solo began with performances of “Reog Payung” on Monday (5/12/2011). The show was held at Gading Market (read: Pasar Gading) featuring Suprapto Suryodharmo, Sahita, and artists from various countries.
One of the initiators of this event, Ki Slamet Gundono, said, artists typically avoid the rainy season as the audience abandoned the show due to fear. However, climate change affecting the conditions of the rainy season much longer than it should or vice versa. Expected not then turn off the enthusiasm artists to work.
This activity, according to Gundono, at once the form of concern for flood that occurred in Pati, Central Java. According to him, the rain could reflect as beautiful or disastrous, depending on the will of God and human labor in determining the course of their lives.
“The festival is not a rah-rah. This form of concern for the natural disasters that happen,” said Gundono.
Furthermore, the Rain Festival will continue with the appearance of:
1. Choreography of Mugiyono Kasido, “Nyungsung Udan” in Joyopuran, 17 December 2011, at 15:00 LT.
2. Choreography collaboration: Jen Shyu, New York installation artist, and Indonesian artist: Yuni Bening, Citra Pratiwi, Risky Sumersbee, and The Migrating Troop in Kampung Sewu on 21 December 2011, at 15:00 LT.
3. Collaboration between Afrizal Malna and Fitri: “Ikan dari Langit” (Fish from the Sky), in Kampung Sewu, 23 December 2011, at 15:00 LT.
4. Slamet Gundono and Housewives of Kampung Sewu: “Blues tuk Simbok” (Shirt for Mom), in Kampung Sewu, 26 December 2011 at 15.00 LT.
5. Film screening ‘Rain’ by Elizabeth Inandiak, writer, and Hysteria, an artist group, in Kampung Sewu, on 27 December 2011 at 19:30 LT.
6. ‘Wayang kulit’ puppet show by Ki Warseno Slank: “Mensyukuri Air Hujan” (Thank to the Rain) in Kampung Sewu, at 19:30, at once as closing of Rain Festival on 28 December 2011.